Mmmm. Yogurt. Okay, actually I hate yogurt. Any yogurt except this one.
This is my mash-up of yogurt recipes that I’ve tried and liked. It’s a whole milk yogurt, sweetened with sugar, that’s made in the crockpot. My two main sources are the Crockpot 365 yogurt recipe and Ma Bacon’s yogurt recipe. Serving sizes are baby-size since I mostly make this for the little ones.
Source: Amalgam of recipes 🙂
Course: Snacks and Sandwiches
Cuisine: Crock Pot
Prep Time: 5 Min
Cook Time: 12 Hr
Total Time: 12 Hr 5 Min
- .5 gallon milk whole, organic
- .5 cup plain yogurt organic
- .5 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add half gallon of milk to slow cooker. Cook on low until yogurt reaches 180* Fahrenheit. This will probably be 2-3 hours.
- Turn off slow cooker and uncover. Let milk sit, uncovered, until it cools to 115* Fahrenheit. This will take another 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove 2 cups of the warm milk and add to medium bowl. Whisk warm milk with the half cup of starter yogurt, half cup sugar, and tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour warm milk mixture back into slow cooker and cover.
- Unplug slow cooker, wrap in thick towels or blanket so it is well-insulated. Leave wrapped and undisturbed for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- Enjoy your sweet, delicious yogurt!
- Notes: You can add pureed fruit or preserves to make various flavors. My kids liked a berry puree with a bit of stevia sprinkled in the puree before mixing with the yogurt.
- I use an Infantino Squeeze Station to make yogurt pouches for on-the-go baby food.
- The yogurt will last about 2 weeks in the fridge (give or take). Keep 1/2 cup of your yogurt for the next batch’s starter!