Last Friday Will and our former neighbor smoked turkeys and pork loins … Delicious. I do love smoked turkey, pork ribs, pork loin, chicken … Well, you get my drift.
I’m not such a fan of turkey, though, that I can just eat it for weeks on end and love every minute of it. Yesterday, in my quest to remain up and active and coax a baby out (didn’t work), I decided I’d make a pot pie from scratch. I searched for a recipe that specifically called for smoked turkey and lucked out with this recipe from Cooking ThreeTimes. I made some modifications and it was absolutely delicious.
The original recipe is Lemony Turkey Pot Pie. I don’t want to take credit away from the original author, so I’ll just mention my modifications below:
- I can’t eat onions any more and I wanted to include more veggies, so I added two small/medium potatoes (diced) and three medium carrots (chopped) to the celery. Cooked them in the butter, and they were great.
- Dried herbs instead of fresh. Sorry!
- Didn’t have any lemons, so I used about 3-4 tablespoons (I think) lemon juice in the sauce.
- Sriracha chili sauce instead of chipotle tabasco
- Homemade pie crust instead of puff pastry (a lot of extra cooking time required, but so worth it!)
Holy cow the sriracha chili sauce just made the entire dish pop. It, combined with the lemon juice, was absolutely the best.
There’s another alternative for turkey leftovers, should you do a turkey this Christmas. We’ll definitely be making this one again.